The name 2Gig Z wave may not spark the word ‘thermostat’ in your mind at first.
Nevertheless, the 2gig CT100 Z-Wave programmable thermostat is a simple, effective, and friendly smart thermostat that has almost all the features you would want in a thermostat.
So what makes the 2gig CT100 Z-Wave programmable thermostat so impressive?
It is because of its compatibility with the Z-Wave technology. Z-wave is very different from a Wi-Fi connection and it is a really cool alternative for a smart thermostat, especially if you are shopping on a tight budget. The only thing you need here is a Z-Wave compatible home automation hub for connecting your devices. If you were looking for the other types of smart thermostats that don’t use Z-Wave, please check out my review on the top Wi-Fi enabled programmable thermostats.
The 2gig programmable thermostat features one of the simplest designs you’ll ever find out there. Its ultra-slim lookand elegant design is impressive. It features a touch-screen display with a bright backlight. However, the readings aren’t large enough and I wouldn’t recommend it for the elderly and the visually impaired.
The display of the 2gig CT100 Z-Wave programmable thermostat actually surprised me at first. Given that it is a smart thermostat, I expected a colored screen with some fancy displays. However, the manufacturers chose to go with a simple screen that looks a bit dated but has a touch screen functionality. However, I don’t see it to be a major factor since almost all the programming is to be done on the Z-Wave hub.
On the display, the 2gig programmable thermostat shows the current room temperature (the largest digits), the targeted temperature and the time of the day. It also shows the radio/Z-Wave status, temperature controls, and the fan status. The on-unit controls
Installation & Setup
The 2gig Z-wave thermostat has similar connections like the other thermostats, hence you can comfortably use this installation guide that features all the wire color codes that you need to know. Yes, it has an option for connecting a C-wire, however, this is not necessary since it has a long battery life –lasting between 3-12 months depending on your usage. If you still want to install the C Wire that will power your device for its entire life-time, please follow this c-wire installation guide.
The 2gig CT100 thermostat is programmable. However, you can’t set the programs directly from the thermostat itself. You have to configure it from the Z-Wave hub. If you don’t have the Z-Wave hub, you can check out the Wink Z-Wave hub, the Samsung SmartThings 2nd generation hub, or the Logitech harmony Home Hub, both of which are available at very affordable prices at Amazon.com.
Once you have everything set up, you can easily customize the thermostat to your desirable preferences. If you haven’t yet figured out the connection with the Z-Wave hub, I highly recommend that you take some time to go through the 2gig CT100 Z-Wave programmable thermostat manual. You’ll sigh when you realize that you might be missing just a simple step for the system to function.
Customizing the 2gig CT100 Z-Wave programmable thermostat is very easy. It is not like the nest learning thermostat that attempts to learn everything by itself. You just have to create a schedule that it will obediently follow. Here are some of the things you can do with it:
- Create a heating and cooling schedule for the entire week
- Create a weekday mode and weekend mode each with a different set of settings.
- Control the thermostat and override settings directly from the app
- Set the temperature limits
It is also compatible with the following heating and cooling systems.
- Heat (fossil of electric) up to 4 stages
- Cool up to 2 stages
- Heat pump up to 2 stages
- Electric aux heat up to 2 stages
- Hybrid (fossil fuel aux heat) compatible
- Forced air zoned heat up to 2 stages
- Forced air zoned cool up to 2 stages
- 2 wire hydro valves compatible
- 3 wire hydro valves compatible
- millivolt heat compatible
2gig CT100 Pros & Cons
- Sleek and slim design that fits perfectly on the wall and doesn’t mess with your décor
- It is priced well below $100 in most online shops. I found this Amazon.com seller to have the cheapest price I’ve seen online so far.
- It has a clear display with bright backlight
- It is compatible with almost all heating and cooling systems
- It is easy to install and even easier to program
- Easily integrates with Z-Wave hubs including Wink and Samsung SmartThings
- Can be powered with both a battery and C-wire
- Minimal manual control options
- Can’t function without a Z-Wave hub
- Touch-screen feels abit dated.
If you already have a Z-Wave controller or are comfortable getting one, then I recommend that you get the 2gig CT100 Z-Wave programmable thermostat. It is highly programmable, can be controlled remotely, and will deliver more than you expect thanks to its 1-degree accuracy. You can check its latest price here, where it retails below $100.