How to Fix Ecobee Not Turning on Heat
Amidst all the other benefits accrued to having a thermostat in your home, the need for heat is one that is solely unnegotiable, which is why it can become a problem if your Ecobee not turning on heat.
Thermostats are devices that automatically regulates temperature or activate a device when the temperature reaches a certain point. That means that a thermostat can control heating or cooling devices by simply switching them on or off or systematically regulating the flow of a heat transfer fluid as needed to maintain just the right temperature.
From the definition above, a thermostat’s ability to produce heat cannot be overridden, so why then is Ecobee not turning on heat when it’s needed as an integral part of your device.
In discussing Ecobee not turning on heat, Ecobee is a Canadian home automation company that is into the manufacturing of smart thermostats, temperature and occupancy sensors, smart light switches, smart cameras, and contact sensors.
Ecobee changed the game of thermostats when it created the world’s first smart thermostat, the Ecobee Smart, in 2008 and since then, have steadily been updating their thermostat models over the years till its most recent release of the Ecobee Smart Thermostat in June 2019.
The thermostat serves as a hub for other devices, as it is capable of integrating and synching with other smart home devices to give you an overall smart home experience.
Ecobee thermostats can be controlled by using the built-in touchscreen, web portal, or app available for iOS, Android, and the Apple Watch. Other devices are controlled solely through the app or web portal.
This post will guide you on how to fix Ecobee not turning on heat. The steps below apply to the three models of Ecobee smart thermostat; the Ecobee smart thermostat (5th Gen), the most popular, Ecobee 4, as well as the budget-friendly, Ecobee 3 Lite.
Ecobee Not Turning on Heat
There could be quite a number of reasons why your Ecobee Thermostat is not turning on the heat as it should, there include;
- When the temperature is not set right.
- The settings within the thermostat are not done accurately.
- When the furnace isn’t switched on.
- If your furnace is overheated.
Check The Heat Set Point On Your Thermostat
This is basically the first thing you need to check if your Ecobee is not turning on heat, The setpoint is the temperature you have “set” your thermostat to maintain, and it is usually between 78 degrees to 68 degrees, depending on the seasons.
Ideally, the setpoint should be at least 1 degree higher than the current temperature in the house to fully have its effect. So if your Ecobee is not turning on heat, all you need to do for a start is change the heat setpoint from the thermostat’s interface or in the app.
To change the temperature settings;
- First, make sure your thermostat is set to Heat or Auto mode. This is how you achieve that;
- Select Main Menu, then Settings, then Preferences.
- Then, use the slider on the main display screen to increase or decrease to the desired temperature.
- You will see the setpoint temperature displayed in a box under the current temperature.
Adjust The Settings of Your Thermostat.
Ecobee thermostat allows you the upper hand, so you can control your thermostat however you deem fit. You can make adjustments to your thermostats, so it works just the way you want it to.
So if your Ecobee is not turning on heat, you have the liberty to adjust the settings within your Ecobee and get the heat right back on track again.
This is how you can go about adjusting the settings to fix an Ecobee not turning on heat issue;
- Select “Settings” from the Main Menu.
- Select “Installation Settings.”
- Select “Thresholds.”
- It is at the Threshold that you get to adjust the temperature(heat) to your desired feel.
- Just click on Heat/Cool Min Delta and set it to your liking.
Check the Furnace Power
This is another way to fix the Ecobee not turning on heat, considering the fact that your Ecobee thermostat derives heat from your furnace, so it is just natural that if the furnace is not turned on, there will be no heat.
If this is the case, try switching the breaker for the furnace power to see if that restores power, but if it doesn’t, then you might have to call in an expert to check it up.
Your Furnace is Overheated
I guess we know already know how bad overheating can affect devices. The same applies to an overheated furnace, so Ecobee will not be turning on heat if your furnace is overheated.
Moreover, if the temperature inside the furnace reaches an unsafe level, the furnace may automatically turn off while the fan stays on to cool it down, but this will make your house uncomfortably hot until it has cooled down to a safe temperature.
To be on the safe side, there are a few things you can do to prevent your furnace from overheating;
- Always ensure the vents are clear, and there shouldn’t be anything directly in front of them.
- Endeavour to clean and replace the air filter regularly.
- Clean the furnace’s blower fan and evaporator coil at least annually.
- Avoid running your heater for long periods during the winter stretch.
How To Reset Ecobee Smart Thermostat
Did you know that resetting your thermostat can also help to fix Ecobee not turning on? To reset your thermostat, do the following;
- From the Home screen, press Menu.
- Select Settings.
- Go to Reset.
- Choose Reset All Settings, then confirm your selection by pressing Yes.
- Choose the reset option that applies to you, that should very well be the “Reset Schedules and Preferences” option.
- The Ecobee thermostat will be reset to factory defaults.
This guide has listed out and explained the necessary things you have to do if your Ecobee is not turning on. Follow the steps outlined and you will have your thermostat up and running at optimum again.
But if for any reason it doesn’t? then don’t hesitate to seek professional help.