The Ecobee thermostat allows you to save energy and reduce your electricity bills effectively thanks to the different features it offers such as scheduling, quick temperature change, away mode, and many other settings.
But the effectiveness of this device can be reduced if you have curious children in the house who always play with the thermostat, adjust settings and change the temperature several times a day.
The solution here is to set a PIN code to lock the Ecobee thermostat and only people who know the code will be able to adjust the settings and increase or lower the temperature.
How To Lock The Ecobee Thermostat?
Setting a PIN code on your Ecobee Thermostat is easy to do but I just want to tell you that you can only do it from the device, unlike the Nest Thermostat which you can lock it from the Google app or the Nest app.
Here are the steps that you need to follow to lock your Ecobee Thermostat:
- Go to your thermostat.
- On the device’s screen tap the Hamburger menu at the bottom left corner.
- A menu will appear scroll down and select Settings.
- On the Settings menu tap on Access Control.
- Then Click on Enable Security Code.
- Enter in a four-digit passcode that you want to use with the thermostat in order to unlock it.
- Make sure that the PIN code is not easy to guess by children.
- Then tap Save in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- After that choose which features will require a PIN (You can tap all to select all features).
- Temperature & Quick Changes.
- System & Settings.
- After selecting the features tap on the back arrow to go back to the main screen.
- Now the code is successfully enabled wait for the thermostat to go into standby mode before it will begin activating.
How To Remove The PIN code & Unlock The Ecobee Thermostat?
If you see that the PIN code is no longer needed or if you want to sell the thermostat to someone else and want to remove the code and unlock the thermostat for the next user, you will need to follow these steps:
- Click on the hamburger menu on the Ecobee Thermostat.
- Scroll down and select Settings.
- Then tap on Access Control.
- After that choose “Enter the existing code”.
- Select Change Security Code and Delete the existing code.
- Then tap Save.
- Now your PIN code has been deleted.
What To Do If I Forgot The PIN code?
Many people panic when they forget the password and what they do is reset the entire thermostat to access it again, resetting the thermostat will remove the code which is good but keep in mind that all settings, schedules and preferences will also be deleted.
I don’t recommend resetting the Ecobee thermostat to have access again to the device, what I recommend instead is to disable the PIN code from the Ecobee website, you can follow the next instructions:
- Go to ecobee.com
- Sign in to your account.
- Go to the access control screen under settings.
- select “disable” to disable the PIN code.
- A new access code can then be enabled if desired.
Note: The Ecobee support team can release the code after confirming your account details (You can get in touch with this team on the same website).
The Ecobee Thermostat Lock is great to prevent your kids or guest from accessing the heating and cooling system, we hope the article was useful to you and you got what you wanted.