- 1 Design and Appearance
- 2 Remote Control from Your IdeaScientific Account
- 3 A Bit Fidgety Set Up
- 4 The Hard Facts
- 5 The Online Dashboard is Comprehensive and Powerful
- 6 Temp Stick Wireless Temperature Sensor Features
- 7 Advantages
- 8 Disadvantages
- 9 Conclusion
All you need might be a small but accurate temperature detection unit that will read and display the current temperature and if possible pipe it straight to your smartphone via Wi-Fi.
The Temp Stick wireless temperature sensor will give you the temperature readings you so much desire and throw in a complimentary humidity level reading.
Design and Appearance
The Temp Stick Wireless Temperature Sensor is a state of the art wireless detection unit that keeps track of the sensitive weather conditions like humidity and the current temperature. It is a simple gadget to use, just make a connection to your household network, and you’ll be able to get notifications via text or e-mail at the moment significant variation in temperature and humidity happens.
At a glance, the Temp Stick is a rectangular sensor that doesn’t draw much attention to itself. This is good since the temp stick runs on battery and minimizing onboard controls has a profound impact on battery life. The wireless temp stick will only connect to the server and actively use the wireless connection when doings its routine data log or triggering temperature too high or temperature too low alarms.
By variation, I don’t mean every time the temperature moves up or down by a degree. When running your configuration, you will choose the maximum or minimum temperature. Once the temp stick wireless sensor reads this temperature, it will activate the system over at IdealScientific to sent warning emails to different email addresses listed on your account.
Remote Control from Your IdeaScientific Account
This is by far the coolest thing you get from the Temp Stick since it expands its use case scenarios tremendously. It will work as that remote but reliable sensor on your holiday house or RV that warns you when the temperatures skip a predetermined value indicating a thermostat or AC failure. It will also work perfectly when monitoring a warehouse that stores temperature sensitive goods but cannot be monitored manually on a continuing basis.
A Bit Fidgety Set Up
Most wireless routers will transmit on 5GHz and 2.4GHz so very few people have any trouble with devices working on one frequency. You might be at a loss if your router runs on 5GHz Wi-Fi only as the Temp Stick will not work with the router.
If you have solved this problem, you will again have to wait for a while, perhaps 15 minutes before seeing the first data dump at idealsciences.com/sensors/dashboard since there is no indicator on the Temp Stick sensor or your account to confirm an active connection. This could be so since the device only links to the network when ready to transmit so as to save on power. (You can check for it on your router’s DHCP list if you want to find out if you are good to go faster)
The free Android and iOS app will come in handy when accessing the Temp Stick directly while the lone LED light that indicates when the sensor is working is a reassuring sight. The 2 AA size batteries are good for 6 to 12 months depending on how often you configure the sensor to upload collected data.
The Hard Facts
- Dimensions: 3.5″ x 1.5″ x 1.25″
- Number of Sensors: 1
- Factory-calibrated, excellent long term stability
- High Accuracy Temperature Sensor: ±0.4 °C (max)
- Temperature Operating range Up to –40 to +125 °C
- Precision Relative Humidity Sensor : ± 4% RH (max), 0–80% RH
- 0 to 100% RH operating range.
The Online Dashboard is Comprehensive and Powerful
All the data that streams into your account is saved online and used to plot an intuitive graph that will give you a great snapshot of the temperature readings whenever you log in. This is sufficient to anyone running a noncritical system that can endure a temperature change for a while. Moreover, if you can set your email or text warnings to kick in when the temperatures are deviating from the norm but still within range, you will still have enough time to remedy any problems before they escalate into a fatality.
The unlimited data log with no subscription required makes it ideal for more than mere monitoring. You can use it to optimize temperature and humidity sensitive applications like
- A greenhouse
- A storage area, warehouse or go down
- Your home when you are away for a while
- An unmonitored RV or vehicle with pets around
- Your fridge or freezer
- Storage containers or rooms for perishable products
Temp Stick Wireless Temperature Sensor Features
The Temp Stick Wireless Temperature Sensor has a variety of advantageous features that make it a very useful gadget to use.
This device offers all day and week supervision of the weather conditions, and it will notify you if its power is low. You can rely on it at any time for temperature and humidity updates.
Alerts & Unlimited Historical Data
Once it is connected, you just relax, and it does the work for you, offering you notification and alerts while you perform other activities. In addition, it provides steady temperature and humidity data that it collects periodically.
Compatibility and flexibility
This gadget is awesome; the data it sends is viewable on a variety of devices. It’s applicable on the PC and both Android and iOS. This enables one to check the information from anywhere – there is no geographical limitation whatsoever. What this gives the user is the capability of moving around and still receive the alerts that they need.
- An acceptable battery life for most use case scenarios
- Comprehensive history reporting at the online server
- Low maintenance configure and forget approach
- Didn’t notice a battery low warning (will update this once I find it)
- Different ID and naming to allow multiple sensor monitoring and management
- No true real-time reporting
- Frequent reporting settings will sit heavy on your battery life
- Troubleshooting connection to server more of trial and error since the sensor gives no error codes at all
- You must use the right lithium batteries when using in extreme cold or heat environments. Check battery tolerance before purchasing replacements
- No temperature or humidity display on the sensor
Overall, the Temp Stick Wireless Temperature Sensor will help keep you and your family abreast of all weather conditions. It has a simple setup procedure and is very easy to use.