Despite the fact that heating and cooling setups vary a lot, one thing is certain: you need a good thermostat to control your HVAC system properly.
While any thermostat can do the job, you wouldn’t want something that will fail you in the middle of the coldest month. If you own a SmartThings device (check out the latest device), then having the best SmartThings-compatible thermostat should be your priority.
I’ve owned a couple of thermostats and it goes without saying that some have left me far from impressed. After acquiring a SmartThings device, which my older thermostat wasn’t compatible with, I decided to do extensive research into SmartThings compatible thermostats and came up with the list below.
I hope my findings will help you to select the best thermostat that is within your price range.
Things to Consider When Choosing a SmartThings-Compatible Thermostat
There are many thermostats available, but some are better than others due to several reasons.
If your heating and cooling system has a C-Wire, then you have a much easier task to choose a smart thermostat that provides an option for a C-Wire connection. Besides, you wouldn’t have to worry about buying batteries for your thermostat. On the other hand, if you don’t have a C-Wire, consider using a C-Wire adapter. While you can use an R-Wire in some cases, it isn’t recommended.
The Ease of Installation
Most thermostats nowadays are easy to install and you can do a DIY within a few minutes. However, there are those that require expert help, which means you’ll have to spend more. Get a thermostat that is not only easy to install but comes with a manual and troubleshooting guide to make things easier.
Ease of Learning and Control
A good smart thermostat should have one of the following three main types of smart thermostat technologies: learning algorithms, geo-fencing and motion sensors. These features make it possible to program and operate your thermostat remotely.
- Geo-fencing: Allows the thermostat to sense when you enter and leave the set home perimeter and adjusts temperatures accordingly. This feature can help reduce energy costs.
- Remote Access: With remote access, you can control your thermostat right from your smartphone or computer from wherever you are in the world. No more expensive energy bills just because you forgot to turn your heater down when leaving the house.
- Learning Algorithms: Self-learning capabilities that enable it to create automatic settings based on your behavioral patterns. Not only does this feature eliminate the waiting period for a thermostat to reach desired temperatures, but it can also help in saving energy.
Determine whether your thermostat supports other compatible devices and systems such as multi-stage or heat pump systems. Most importantly, it should be compatible with Samsung SmartThings device. It should have an integration system, an app, and commands that link it to other systems.
The User Interface
It should be easy to set up and operate. The smart thermostat should deliver important information at a glance and easily adapt to your specific individual behavior pattern.
Best Thermostats That Work With SmartThings
These are the best thermostats to buy if you are using Samsung SmartThings.
Ecobee 4 (Latest Technology)
This Smart Thermostat is very economical on power, easy to install and comes with Built-In Alexa and Room Sensors. If you are looking for an effective thermostat that packs smart features and comes with room sensors, Ecobee 4 is your ideal choice. In fact, it is the best smart thermostat you can pair with your SmartThings device.
- It has an in-built Alexa
- Have room sensors that help determine temperatures in different rooms and are easy to install
- On purchase, it comes with important accessories including the Power Extended Kit.
- The in-built Alexa enables you to use your voice to control it; to request music, listen to the news, set timers and set your temperatures. This is very convenient and comforting for everyone because you do not need to walk to where it is placed.
- Room sensors balance the temperature based on occupancy and temperature levels automatically
- You can remotely control it from distant locations through iOS devices such as iPhone, iPad and watches, and any Android device. This gives the freedom to make advance preparations before arriving home.
- It does not come with the C-wire cable hence you have to buy it separately.
- You might experience an upward learning curve, especially if you are coming from a non-programmable model.
Honeywell TH9320WF5003 (Best Under $150)
- Total Connect Comfort app available, remotely monitor/manage your homes comfort...
- Energy Savings mode, and 7 day easy programming
- Custom Display, with on screen comfort information
This Honeywell thermostat for SmartThings fits in the modern worlds’ needs since it can be connected to Wi-Fi, full Color Touchscreen, and uses the new smart thermostat C-Wire specifications. With all these enviable features and affordable price, why would you choose something else?
- Can be accessed via Wi-Fi
- Has full-color Touchscreen
- Works with Alexa Use the C-wire power technology
- This smart thermostat learns your preferences quickly and implements them with razor accuracy
- Its technology makes it reliably set it and forget it, it adapts very easily and quickly saving you from frequent setting adjustments which are tiring and cumbersome
- Excellent display screen that delivers important information clearly and accurately
- When installing many I noticed different initial networking issues or problems and demands the use of smartphones
- Geofencing feature is not very reliable and accurate leading to misinterpretation of the presence and absence of the home occupants.
Ecobee 3 Lite (Cheaper Alternative With Remote Sensors)
- SAVE MONEY: Homeowners save up to 23% annually on heating or cooling costs, plus...
- WORKS WITH ROOM SENSORS: Place them in the rooms that matter the most and have...
- EASILY INSTALL YOURSELF: It only takes about 30 minutes, thanks to an easy to...
The Ecobee 3 lite’s unique features use the remote sensors allowing it to monitor the temperature well above the actual thermostat and more accurately making it an excellent choice for most people.
- This SmartThings compatible thermostat works with your other smart home setups that include Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Microsoft Cortana, Samsung SmartThings, Wink, and IFTTT.
- Works with room sensors to balance your home temperatures
- Remote access from anywhere using either iOS or Android devices
- Its remote sensors assist in making the entire house comfortable, and not just the location the thermostat is placed by supporting multi-stage heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, and heat pump systems in the home.
- Calls for very easy set-up and installation if a C-wire is available
- Has an excellent touchscreen interface that is very easy to use with other devices
- It can only use a C-wire or else you face a rather daunting installation of a wiring adapter kit
- Remote sensors can be configured only at the thermostat, not via the app
- It is a bit pricey for its range; there are others with similar features but cost less
Honeywell Lyric T5 (Easy to Install and Use)
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- Product requires C-Wire, unit will not work without it.
- Control your Smart Home with Amazon Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold...
The Lyric T5 Thermostat gives you comfort in knowing your home temperature will always be as you have desired. It’s easy to install, use and will conveniently fit in with your lifestyle; you can either program it based on your schedule or let it adapt to your life’s pattern as plans change with location-based temperature control. It allows control from anywhere with your smartphone or tablet optimizing home comfort while saving on your power bills.
- Honeywell Lyric is a Wi-Fi connected platform
- The Lyric app allows you to use your smartphone or tablet to monitor and control your heating anytime, and anywhere.
- Uses geofencing technology to track your location and update the settings
- The very large touchscreen display shows details clearly
- It supports geofencing hence can be used by many people with smartphones in the home
- It is readily compatible with Amazon Echo, Google Home, and Apple HomeKit hence voice command is prompt
- Does not have motion sensors, or algorithms that learn your occupancy behavior to self adjust the settings
- It is not SmartThings compatible thermostats or Wink smart-home hubs, it does not support other devices such as humidifiers, dehumidifiers, or ventilators
GoControl (Best for Z-Wave Systems)
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold...
- Z-Wave compatible - Ver. 4.5.5
- Supports Z-wave Flirs Functionality. The GC-TBZ48 works with most contemporary...
This is a battery-powered z-wave thermostat that connects to the 2gig gc2 panel, giving you remote control from anywhere. It includes a front-loading battery compartment to hold 4 (AA) batteries that can power the thermostat for two full years. Also, it can use the HVAC system’s 24-volt Ac power with a C-wire.
- Works with Alexa for voice control.
- Z-wave compatible with Version 4.4.4
- Works On Standard HVAC Systems with 2-stage Heat and 2-stage Cool and Heat Pump HVAC Systems with 3-stage Heat and 2-stage Cool
- The installation easy and its programming is simple using the 7-character scrolling display available
- Its Z-wave thermostat for SmartThings
- Saves a lot of energy for it switches to favorable settings based on
- I noted some confusion regarding the schedule capacities
- Alexa device and hub are sold separately
Sinope GT125-K2 (Best for Electric Baseboard Heating)
- 7-day programming, up to 6 periods per day
- Place the thermostat in "away" mode by a single action
- Automatic time synchronization
This is a programmable electronic thermostat with a web interface for electrical heating systems allowing viewing via a smartphone, tablet or PC. If you are looking for the best thermostat for baseboard heaters, this should be your top choice.
- 7-day programming with up to 6 periods daily
- It has an automatic time synchronization
- Generate graphics related to your heating costs
- Remote access needs a permanent Internet connection and a Web interface (GT125)
- Very easy to install.
- The web app works really well and is very intuitive.
- Adequately controls the temperatures
- You have to purchase a WiFi extender to plug in the interface web black box, to connect to the internet.
- The remote access requires a permanent Internet connection and a Web interface (GT125)
How to Connect a Thermostat to SmartThings
Follow these steps to connect your thermostat to a SmartThings device:
- Install and connect to WiFi the smart thermostat using the user’s guide.
- Set up a thermostat account after you download the necessary app for iOS or Android
- Connect the thermostat through the SmartThings app, and test it
In the SmartThings mobile app:
- On the Dashboard, tap add a thermostat; in Android tap Add Device Manually
- Select Thermostat
- Tap the Connect Comfort
- Tap the field Click to enter credentials
- Sign in to your account
- You must accept the agreement to connect your account with SmartThings by tapping I Accept
- Then select the thermostat and later add a second thermostat you wish to reconnect with SmartThings
- Enter OK
- Enter Done
- Enter Next
- Select the thermostat
- Enter Done
- Enter Done again to complete setup, and its connected!
How to Program and Control a Thermostat via SmartThings
What you need:
- A SmartThings Hub
- A SmartThings-compatible thermostat, or a SmartPower Outlet to control AC units or portable heaters
After installing a SmartThings-compatible thermostat; you can turn it on, off, or adjust it directly from the SmartThings app. Also, you can set it to automatically adjust when different events take place such as when you arrive or leave home–by using the Hello, Home section of the SmartThings app. You can also do the same for window A/C unit or portable heater
How to Change the Default Thermostat Settings in SmartThings
On the App Automations:
- Under Routines, tap the Gear icon in the corner of a Routine’s tile.
- Tap Change the mode to.
- Select the Mode to which the routine you are changing and Tap Done.
- And tap Done again to save your changes.
Can You Use a Nest Thermostat with SmartThings?
Currently, Nest is not officially supported by SmartThings, hence many smart thermostat users are alternatively utilizing a custom integration created by the SmartThings Developer Community.
The best thermostat for SmartThings should possess all or most of the features listed for consideration when buying thermostats so as to meet your modern-day lifestyle. Firstly check on your budget; the choice should fit your budget without stretching it to unacceptable limits, but do not overlook quality for a lower price. Then determine what your home situation is like.
Follow the above guide and enjoy your new smart thermostat installation!